Just conducted a large SharePoint 2010 site-collection content migration lately, so feel like putting down all necessary procedure here, in order to share all the joy and pain:
- 1. Switch the site-collection to the read-only, in order to make sure that nobody could edit the content until the migration has been completed successfully.
stsadm -o setsitelock -url
http://newspoint/sites/pmo -lock readonly
- 2. Export the existing site collection by the following stsadm command:
stsadm -o backup -url
http://nioshssppweb02d:5400 -filename "\\NOPSHSNLWEB02V\SPBackup\Pmo_full_20110630.bak"
- 3. Copy/Transfer bak file across to the new server
- 4. Restore/import bak file to the new site collection by the following stsadm command:
stsadm –o restore
–url http://newspoint/sites/pmo -filename "\\NOPSHSNLWEB02V\SPBackup\Pmo_full_20110630.bak"
- 5. Unlock the new site-collection in order to be able to verify the content migration
Stsadm -o setsitelock -url
http://newspoint/sites/pmo -lock none
In a nutshell, it's just a content-level site-collection migration, there are a lot more needed polishing later on and I will cover all of them in the future articles.