So excited to announce that the MS SQL Server 2016 GA is just officially made available since last night!
Needless to say that this is the biggest leap forward in the Microsoft data platform history with real-time operational analytics, much better Data Viz on mobile/web devices, built-in advanced analytics, improved security capability & all-in-one hybrid cloud solutions.
Well, not going to go through those new shinny features again here as I have already blogged 4 articles about MS SQL Server 2016 in past 18 months, and therefore, just quickly highlight a few key selling points for pre-sale purpose:
New SQL Server boasts 100x faster queries, 30x faster throughput and 30x faster operations on its database server. The speed improvements can be achieved without having to upgrade the current hardware.
Row-level security, Dynamic data masking, Always end-to-end encryption as well as the enhanced TDE (Transparent data encryption).
Data warehousing and big data analytics is also a big focus in SQL Server 2016 through its built-in R support. This database can also store and query both structured and unstructured data.
The full editions of SQL Server 2016 will allow the database to scale up to 12 TB of memory and 640 logical processors with Windows Server 2016. Advanced analytics can be processed directly within the database thereby reducing latencies and operational costs.
Much intuitive and visually-appealing SSRS standard pixel-perfect reports as well as mobile friendly reporting capabilities.
SSRS 2016 reporting still has its native integration with SharePoint 2016 as part of the new Power BI Dashboard portal.
Lastly, as for the new simplified MS SQL Server commercial licensing, the BI edition is no longer available and there are only Enterprise & Standard commercial licensing left ;)
So excited about this ground-breaking SQL Server 2016 public preview release in the coming months. In summary, the top capabilities for the release include:
- Always Encrypted - a new capability that protects data at rest and in motion,
- Stretch Database - new technology that lets you dynamically stretch your warm and cold transactional data to Microsoft Azure,
- Enhancements Real-time Operational Analytics & In-Memory OLTP - leading in-memory technologies for real-time analytics on top of breakthrough transactional performance.
- Built-in Advanced Analytics, PolyBase and Mobile BI with R integration
Also additional capabilities in SQL Server 2016 include:
- Additional security enhancements for Row-level Security and Dynamic Data Masking to round out our security investments with Always Encrypted.
- Improvements to AlwaysOn for more robust availability and disaster recovery with multiple synchronous replicas and secondary load balancing.
- Native JSON support to offer better performance and support for your many types of your data.
- SQL Server Enterprise Information Management (EIM) tools and Analysis Services get an upgrade in performance, usability and scalability.
- Faster hybrid backups, high availability and disaster recovery scenarios to backup and restore your on-premises databases to Azure and place your SQL Server AlwaysOn secondaries in Azure.
The further details for the SQL Server 2016 public preview information can be found via http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/products/sql-server-2016/
P.S. the latest MS Power BI preview will be also fully released this summer as well along with much more appealing visualization and sophisticated data capabilities.