So excited about this ground-breaking SQL Server 2016 public preview release in the coming months. In summary, the top capabilities for the release include:
- Always Encrypted - a new capability that protects data at rest and in motion,
- Stretch Database - new technology that lets you dynamically stretch your warm and cold transactional data to Microsoft Azure,
- Enhancements Real-time Operational Analytics & In-Memory OLTP - leading in-memory technologies for real-time analytics on top of breakthrough transactional performance.
- Built-in Advanced Analytics, PolyBase and Mobile BI with R integration
Also additional capabilities in SQL Server 2016 include:
- Additional security enhancements for Row-level Security and Dynamic Data Masking to round out our security investments with Always Encrypted.
- Improvements to AlwaysOn for more robust availability and disaster recovery with multiple synchronous replicas and secondary load balancing.
- Native JSON support to offer better performance and support for your many types of your data.
- SQL Server Enterprise Information Management (EIM) tools and Analysis Services get an upgrade in performance, usability and scalability.
- Faster hybrid backups, high availability and disaster recovery scenarios to backup and restore your on-premises databases to Azure and place your SQL Server AlwaysOn secondaries in Azure.
The further details for the SQL Server 2016 public preview information can be found via http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/products/sql-server-2016/
P.S. the latest MS Power BI preview will be also fully released this summer as well along with much more appealing visualization and sophisticated data capabilities.